Naples Chocolate Cake Contest
Saturday, February 11th, 2023
at Morgan Hose Building (22 Mill Street, Naples)
during the annual Vintage Vines & Valentines in Naples, NY
Vintage Vines and Valentines allows Neapolitans and visitors alike to eat and drink their way down Main Street, while enjoying the hospitality and warmth of our community. To add to the tradition, the Naples Historical Society is proud to host a chocolate cake contest.
Vintage Vines and Valentines revelers may partake in the pageantry by purchasing a slice.
All proceeds will benefit the Naples Historical Society, ensuring the memory of this and other events will be preserved for generations to come.
Honors & certificates will be granted to bakers of the top 3 entries:
• 1st place: Will be crowned Champion of Chocolate
• 2nd place: Dean of Decadence • 3rd place: Salutatorian of Scrumptiousness
1. Submissions must be home-made, contain chocolate in some form, and meet the definition of a cake. This definition includes but is not limited to chocolate layer, birthday, sheet, cheese, Bundt, angel food, and chiffon cakes. Tortes and gateau will also be considered.
2. Bring your chocolate cake, entry form, and recipe to the Morgan Hose building on Saturday, February 11 between 9:00 am and 11:00 am for judging. The Cake Committee will register your submission.
3. Do not put your name on your cake or your cake plate. If there are identifying marks, the cake will be disqualified from the contest. Only the Cake Committee will know the identity of the baker. The Cake Committee will assign a number to your submission (by placing a sticker on the bottom of your cake plate) that will be used for judging and to allow you to retrieve your plate after the contest.
4. Cakes will be judged by an impartial panel of judges, based on taste, texture, and appearance. Judges may give a score of up to 10 points for each category for a maximum judge’s score of 30.
5. The judging will begin at 11:00 am at the Morgan Hose Building. Winners will be announced at 1:00 pm at Morgan Hose.
6. Cakes will be sold by the slice at Morgan Hose from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm as a fundraiser for the Historical Society. Unsold slices will be donated.
7. The winners will be announced and awarded their certificates at Morgan Hose on Saturday, February 11 around 1:00pm. You do not need to be present to win. Winners will be announced on our Facebook and Instagram accounts, and featured in our Spring 2023 newsletter.